Barbaresco Riserva Single Vineyards 2016 - Case of Nine
For those in-the-know, this is quite simply a must-have.
Produttori del Barbaresco is one of Piemonte’s shining beacons. In the very best vintages, they create nine Barbarescos from specific vineyards on historical sites. 2016 was just such a year, with Jancis Robinson noting that “Piemonte produced excellent quality wine in 2016, with ripeness to match the very good 2015, but firmer tannin and higher acidity.” Wine Advocate rated it as an “outstanding” vintage, in fact, placing it on a par with 2010 and 2006. This attractive wooden case contains one bottle of each of Produttori del Barbaresco’s nine Single Vineyard Riservas from 2016. Below, we’ve included the scores from the respected critic of Italian wine, Antonio Galloni. He has rated each wine between 2 and 5 points higher than their counterpart from the wonderful 2015 vintage, suggesting that this is a very special addition to any cellar. This collection also provides a rare opportunity to taste these nine wines side by side, and to really get to understand their intricate nuances. Case contains one of each of the following:
- Rio Sordo Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 94 points, “The 2016 Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo is a serious, sombre wine. Black cherry, plum, lavender, spice and menthol show off the darker side of Nebbiolo to great effect.”
- Pora Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 95 points, “Iron, smoke, tobacco, cedar and dried flowers add a feral, earthy quality that is so appealing. Pora is often one of the more approachable Riservas in this range, but the 2016 is an exception. Readers should be prepared to cellar it for at least a few years.”
- Rabajà Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 98 points, “The 2016 Barbaresco Riserva Rabajà is brooding in its intensity… the sort of wine I wish every Vinous reader could taste because it captures the essence of place and vintage with so much pedigree and so much class. Black cherry, sage, crushed rocks, menthol and lavender are some of the many nuances that linger on the eternal finish.”
- Muncagota Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 94+ points, “The 2016 Barbaresco Riserva Muncagota continues this tasting of frankly awe-inspiring wines. Rich, deep and super-expressive, the 2016 hits all the right notes.”
- Montestefano Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 98 points, “There is virtually no perception of tannin, as the fruit is so rich and so voluptuous. Dark cherry/plum fruit, spice, menthol, liquorice and a whole range of balsamic inflections grow as the Montestefano shows off its class. This profound Barbaresco will thrill readers for years to come.”
- Asili Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 97 points, “The 2016 Barbaresco Riserva Asili marries power and sensuality the way only Nebbiolo can… quite simply one of the most complete Asilis I have tasted from the Produttori. It is an unforgettable wine.”
- Pajè Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 96 points, “Blue/purplish fruit, cloves, lavender and menthol infuse this rich, hedonistic Barbaresco with tons of character… In a word: impressive.”
- Ovello Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 97+ points, “It will appeal most to die-hard classicists. Chalk, white pepper, mint and sweet red cherry fruit all grace this chiselled, beautifully translucent Barbaresco. As always, the Ovello needs a number of years in bottle to reveal its charms, which in 2016 are many. It is a positively stellar wine in every way.”
- Montefico Barbaresco Riserva 2016 – 98+ points, “The 2016 Barbaresco Montefico is a jewel of a wine… Its sense of transparency is simply beguiling… The Montefico is a Barbaresco that will thrill readers who enjoy taut reds.”
In the words of Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, Produttori del Barbaresco “has been making terrific wines for five decades.” All of the leading critics agree; Jancis Robinson believes that they “helped to establish Barbaresco as a top-quality wine”, James Suckling places them at “the top of the pack”, and Antonio Galloni considers their wines “reference-points”. Known affectionately as simply Produttori, this is one of the world’s top cooperatives and is virtually synonymous with the region. And the reason for that is because they offer some of the very best value for money to be discovered anywhere in Italy. Established in 1894, Produttori now encompasses 50 families over some 100 hectares, making nothing but the finest Nebbiolo.
SKU No.: 3530201
Style No.: 846095
Help & Advice
Find out the delivery options for this item.
Returns couldn't be easier.Find out more
If you're suffering from a sartorial block or need a hand hunting down something extra special, we're here to help.